ABOUT THE TREASURE
Where: FYR of Macedonia, Skopje
When: High Middle Ages, National Revival / Brankovani
Church of St. Nikita near Skopje
The church is situated 10 kilometers northwest of Skopje, on the slopes of Skopska Crna Gora, between the villages of Banjani and Cucer. The building, erected in 1316, as a donation of king Milutin, is a type of inscribed cross with a central dome. The frescoes were painted by the famous Thessalonica’s painters, Michael and Eutychios in 1320. Since the upper parts of the church were damaged, a part of new fresco decoration was painted in 1483/4.
The icons on the 19th century iconostasis as well as the frescoes in the dome are painted by the famous local painter Dicho Zograph.
Church of St. Panteleimon in Nerezi
This church of St. Panteleimon situated on the slopes of Mt. Vodno near Skopje. The monastery was founded in 1164, by Alexius Angelus who inherited the Emperor Alexius I Comnenus, the father of his wife Theodora. The church is five-dome building with inscribed cross in base. The frescoes from the 12th century, preserved only in the lower zones of the alter and the naos, painted by anonymous painters came from the Constantinople workshops, are considered to be among the most significant works of the Byzantine painting from that period. The marble alter screen also belongs to the best stonework of Byzantine decorative art.
Church of St. Andreas near Skopje
The church is a part of the monastery complex, situated in the valley of the river Treska, southwest of Skopje. It was built and decorated in 1388/89 by Andrea, the second son of the king Volkashin. It is a triconchal building with a central dome and a narthex built later on. The traditional iconographical programme of the frescoes is a creation of Metropolitan Jovan and one of his assistant, the monk Gregory.
The frescoes in the narthex date from 1559.
The monastery is situated in the valley of the Marko’s River, in the vicinity of the village of Sushica near Skopje. It is dedicated to St. Demetrius and the name “Marko’s monastery” was acquired by its donor, the king Marko (the first son of the king Volkashin). According to the donor’s inscription the monastery was founded in 1346/47 under the king Stefan Dushan and the king Volkashin, and was finished by the king Marko. The church is in shape of a cross inscribed within a rectangle with a central dome, and a narthex with a blind dome on the west. The frescoes were painted by several painters coming from different art schools. Some of them are considered to be the followers of the Ohrid painter, Jovan Theorianos.
Church of the Holy Saviour in Skopje
The church of the Holy Saviour is situated in the area of the “Old Bazaar” of Skopje, on the east of the Medieval City’s fortification. Only a high stone wall and a wooden Bell Tower above it show the presence of the church at all. In the courtyard a stone sarcophagus holds the bones of Goce Delchev (1872-1903), a Macedonian revolutionary. The church is three-nave building, with vaulted roof. It was built in the 18th century and got its final appearance in the first half of the 19th century. Its remarkable iconostasis of woodcarving was constructed between 1819 and 1824 by the well-known western Macedonian woodcarving group of Petre Filipovich-Garkata.
Total: 1 points!